Sealants fill in the crevasses on the chewing surfaces of the teeth as well as small gaps in between the teeth that are common in young children. Sealants prevent food particles that get caught in the teeth that can be difficult to remove by brushing the teeth. Sealants make the teeth easier to brush and help prevent tooth decay. The application is fast, comfortable and can effectively protect the teeth up to 5 years.
While sealants are not a replacement for proper oral hygiene, they can greatly reduce tooth decay by acting as a barrier between bacteria and difficult-to-reach areas of the teeth that are prone to decay. Sealants can help minimize cavities and can be applied to both baby teeth and permanent teeth.
Sealant application only takes a few minutes per tooth. First the teeth are thoroughly cleaned, and then the surface of the tooth is roughened so that the sealant will bond to the tooth. The sealant is then painted on where it hardens almost immediately.
Recommendations for preparing your child for dental visit:
- Don’t tell your child scary stories about the dentist or let your child know your own anxieties.
- Set a good example, let your child observe you brushing your teeth and visiting the dentist.
- Read stories about going to the dentist to your child.
- Pretend to be a dentist and explore your child’s mouth, then switch roles.
- Bring your child to our dental centre just to walk around and meet our staff.
- Arrive early for the appointment so your child can get familiar with the new environment.
- Don’t describe treatments too much in detail or use negative words like pain, drill, etc., our dentists have special ways and words to explain to children so they are not scared.
- Tell the dentist about any medical problems or allergies your child may have.
Please don’t hesitate to send in all your enquiries, suggestions and opinions or make an appointment now.
We would love to hear from you! We value each and every suggestion.