Fluoride application helps strengthen the teeth and prevent tooth decay. The process is very simple and application is advisable every 6 months, or according to the dentist’s recommendation. Fluoride will make teeth stronger. Years of research and use have proven fluoride to be a safe and effective means of fighting and preventing tooth decay.
A topical fluoride treatment is applied after a professional cleaning. Usually a fluoride gel or varnish is applied on all the teeth surfaces. A mouth shaped tray (affectionately known as duck trays) will be inserted into the child’s mouth for her teeth to “soak” in for a few minutes. After fluoride application, we will ask your child not to eat or drink for at least 30 minutes to allow for optimum absorption. Fluoride can re-mineralize small imperfections in the tooth enamel by attracting calcium to the teeth.
Recommendations for preparing your child for dental visit:
- Don’t tell your child scary stories about the dentist or let your child know your own anxieties.
- Set a good example, let your child observe you brushing your teeth and visiting the dentist.
- Read stories about going to the dentist to your child.
- Pretend to be a dentist and explore your child’s mouth, then switch roles.
- Bring your child to our dental centre just to walk around and meet our staff.
- Arrive early for the appointment so your child can get familiar with the new environment.
- Don’t describe treatments too much in detail or use negative words like pain, drill, etc., our dentists have special ways and words to explain to children so they are not scared.
- Tell the dentist about any medical problems or allergies your child may have.
Please don’t hesitate to send in all your enquiries, suggestions and opinions or make an appointment now.
We would love to hear from you! We value each and every suggestion.