What are veneers?
Veneers are custom-made thin laminate shells which cover the front surface of a tooth to change the shape, size, and/or colour of a tooth.
There are two main types of dental veneers.
- The typical porcelain veneers and
- Composite veneers
Composite is a tooth-coloured restorative material with strength close to the enamel.
How much does it cost to have Composite Veneers?
The cost of composite treatment may vary due to multiple reasons.
- The severity of the infection
- The extent of the infection
- The complexity of the treatment
- Location of the tooth
- Materials used
As well prices may vary from one clinic to another, and dentist qualifications, and treatment protocols specific to the dental office.
Thus, the price for Composite Veneer ranges from RM500 to RM700 per tooth, depending on the complexity in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
How composite veneering is carried out?
First, your dentist will do a thorough examination of your mouth to identify all the defects.
Then he will take some radiographs and preoperative photographs of your teeth to evaluate the appearance of the teeth especially your smile.
A customized treatment plan wi be fabricated and the dental team will talk to you about the outcome they expect at the end of the treatment. Usually, they will take your suggestions into account before finalizing the treatment plan.
The dentist will take an impression of the teeth to veneered for future reference.
If required, natural tooth substance will be reduced accordingly to about 0.5mm from the front surface to create space for the veneers.
The dentist will apply chemical solutions on the tooth surface to ensure the bonding of the composite to the tooth.
Tooth-coloured composite will be placed on the tooth, shaped, and contoured to achieve the final appearance.
The Composite will then be smoothened to remove any rough edges and surfaces.
Finally, you will walk away from the dental office with your new permanent veneers which look the same as you wanted them to. Therefore, generally, it’ll take at least three visits to get the dreamy smile you always wanted to have with the veneers.
Simply, if you are looking forward to having a perfectly shaped, bright set of teeth, you are more than suitable to receive composite veneers.
Moreover, if you are someone who tried to get a new smile by whitening and straightening your teeth but still, you didn’t get the nicer look they expected due to several factors such as tooth shape and natural colour you are a perfect candidate for composite veneers.
Unfortunately, not everyone can have composite veneers. You become a terrible candidate to receive veneers if you have at least one of the following characteristics.
- If you are a hard chewer who always bites on rigid food
- If you are having a terrible habit of bruxism/grinding of teeth unknowingly
- If you have active tooth decay, dental veneers may not be a treatment option to treat the dental decay. Rather you may need fillings, crowns, or root canal treatment first.
- If you have crowded teeth, it might not be suitable to receive composite veneers since your dentist may have to prepare your teeth so much just to give you the veneers.
- If you have severe gum disease, you should undergo treatments to correct gum disease before having veneers.
However, it’s always good to talk to your dentist before you decide not to have veneers by yourself.
- Composite veneers can cover up the Stained teeth
- Years of drinking coffee, wine, smoking cigarettes, or consuming food and beverages high in pigment will stain your teeth turning them into an unesthetic yellow or brown colour.
- Composite veneers can build up the broken teeth and fill the gaps. Thus, veneers can treat,
- Chipped off teeth
- Cracked teeth
- Fractured teeth
- Teeth with slight misalignment
Just because you have composite veneers on your teeth, it doesn’t mean that you cannot get any dental problems after that. Bacteria still can go underneath the veneers and colonize causing tooth decay. Therefore, it’s essential to maintain the veneered teeth just like you take care of your natural teeth.
- Make sure that you maintain your dental hygiene with regular dental care by brushing and flossing.
- Don’t forget to visit your dentist every six months for a review of veneers to check their condition.
- Unintentional grinding of your teeth may break and pop up your veneers and sometimes the dentist may have to redo all the things to repair them. So, it’s better if you can attend to the habit at the same time as having veneers. Dentists recommend wearing a ‘night guard’ at night to prevent any damage from grinding when you’re asleep.
The number of veneers you need mostly depends on how many teeth are shown to the outside when you smile, laugh, and talk. Most people show at least their front six or eight teeth when they smile in either the upper jaw or the lower jaw or both. Simply, you can get all your teeth done with veneers if you need them.
|Composite Veneers||Porcelain Veneers|
|· Quicker to apply|
· Can be finished chairside in one visit
· Last about 3-4 years with proper care
· Composite is more prone to chipping
· Can be repaired if get damaged
· Can stain and get discoloured
· Reversible if you feel unhappy at any point
· Initial cost is less than porcelain but can cost more with the frequency of repair and replace
|· Takes time to finish|
· Takes more than one visit to deliver the veneers since the laboratory work are involved
· Last about 10-15 years with proper care
· Though porcelain is fragile, it is durable once bonded to a healthy tooth substance
· Should be replaced if get fractured cannot be repaired
· Translucency is similar to that of the natural tooth
· Stain resistant
· Are not reversible
· More expensive than composite initially
· Takes more expertise and resources
Let’s jump into the advantages first.
- Composite veneers make your smile brighter and prettier while looking natural.
- You have the freedom of selecting the shade you want. However, it’s always better to take the advice of your dentist as well as from your partner or your closest relative when you are selecting the colour. Make sure that you are choosing the colour in natural light not under artificial light.
- Composite veneers last for at least ten years (3-4 years max) on average if you take good care of them and maintain good hygiene.
- While they don’t change the position of your teeth, they can conceal mild alignment abnormalities.
- Veneers are a fantastic treatment option for worn-off teeth or teeth with enamel loss.
- The procedure of receiving composite veneers is more comfortable, less time-consuming and less invasive.
Unfortunately, as with any other treatment, composite veneers also have drawbacks.
- They won’t last forever as anything else in the world. So, composite veneers need to be replaced every 5 to 10 years, subject to your oral lifestyle and maintenance
- Composite veneers are expensive, and they are not covered by insurance.
- Some may experience tooth sensitivity to hot or cold after getting veneers for the first several days, but this usually fades away with time.
- Some may find that the maintenance of veneers is difficult.
- Veneers can’t provide answers for every mild orthodontic problem. In such a situation, you might have to go for orthodontic treatment anyway.
Therefore, you have to be prepared for all the pros and cons and weigh them out yourself and see if this is something that you’re interested in doing.
Trusted & Reviewed By Our Happy Clients
I had my dental implant surgery done at Beverly Wilshire Dental Clinic with Datin Dr Norma Abd Jalil. I am still astonished at how comfortable the whole procedure was. Not only was it totally painless (honestly!), from start to finish I was given clear information about the procedure and the pricing, all in a very relaxed environment. I cannot recommend the clinic and Datin Dr Norma Abd Jalil highly enough.
While visiting KL, I broke a veneer on my front tooth that required immediate replacement. I found Beverly Wilshire Dental online and scheduled an appointment. They were able to see me the next day and being from North America I was unsure of what to expect. I can gladly report that my experience and the work performed was excellent. My highest compliments to Dr. Tan Ying Yin for her professionalism and for the quality of her work.
I went for a routine scaling and teeth cleaning at this place. I must say, Dr. Tan Ying Yin is very professional and friendly. She explained the entire procedure and was constantly checking if everything was okay throughout the entire procedure. I would definitely recommend this clinic. Thank you Dr. for the excellent and very professional service! 5-stars for sure!
I’m from Vietnam and this is my first time getting my teeth fillings done in Malaysia. I picked Beverly Wilshire Dental and completely satisfied with the service here. Thank you.
Great skill. I had serious teeth alignment issue and my doctor managed to fix it nicely!
Amazing dental centre, amazing people, doctors, and dentists. I took appointment and started my veneer treatment and I was happy with their hygiene standards and I felt so comfortable with the great team there and of course special thanks to Dr Tan and her professional team for answering all my questions and been always present and accommodating.
My treatment was very smooth and I didn’t feel any pain even when they injected me with the needle. it was definitely a great experience and would definitely keep treating my teeth there.
Appointment was right on time, service from the attendants was friendly in total job well done, my teeth shines brighter and I feel better in my mouth.
Very comfortable and friendly. no pain at all for my root canal.
Our 1st visit to the dental centre for my daughter having gum bleeding issue. The appointment arrangement was effortless. I just dropped them a message via Google and they responded quickly in the morning. On the day, the service is cordial. My daughter loves it.
I had a perfect uncomplicated treatment. After another dentist told me that I have to get 6 holes fixed and at least one root treatment done I was looking for another opinion and it was the best decision I've ever made! Had my holes fixed in a short time and happy with the result.
I'm extremely happy with my teeth after having braces done here. Smiling away with confidence. Thanks Beverly Wilshire Dental. Will recommend surely to any searching for dental services. Kudos!!
Easy, considerate staff and doctors. We are international patients and came for a cleaning and 2nd opinion. Our dentist in Hong Kong recommended 2 more crowns, but this dentist saw no issues and only recommended a couple cosmetic options, but did not press for us to get them. Our visit was efficient.
Great team and excellent customer service, I did my teeth whitening using Zoom technology. Very happy with the results and the price was surprisingly very affordable. Keep up the good work guys.
Brought both my kids 2.5year and 7 year for their first appointment. The staff are very nice. Dr was very gentle and understanding. It was a pleasant first experience for them.