Wisdom teeth, also known as third morals, are usually the last teeth to grow. They often erupt between the ages of 17 and 25. Some come through without any problems. However, others are usually problematic and a dentist may recommend removing them.
Wisdom tooth removal can be carried out by a dentist or a specialist surgeon working in a hospital. If your dentist recommends removing your wisdom teeth, they’ll take an X-ray of your mouth to help them determine who should carry out the procedure.
Removing the wisdom tooth. If the tooth hasn’t come through the gum, a small cut (incision) will be made in the gum to access it. A small piece of the bone covering the tooth may also need to be removed.
The tooth may be cut into smaller parts to make it easier to remove through the opening. There’s less need to make an incision if the tooth has broken through the gum.
You’ll feel some pressure just before the tooth is removed, as your dentist or oral surgeon needs to widen the tooth socket by rocking the tooth back and forth before taking it out. You shouldn’t feel any pain as your wisdom teeth are removed because the area will be numb. However, if you do feel pain during the procedure, tell your dentist or oral surgeon so they can give you more anaesthetic. How long it takes to remove the tooth will vary. Simple procedures can take a few minutes, but it can take longer than 20 minutes if it’s more complicated.
- As a part of routine check-up for diagnosis of wisdom tooth pain, you may have to undergo X-ray examination.
- Upon deciding whether the surgery for wisdom tooth extraction is required or not, your dentist will inject a local or a general anesthesia to create numbness in the area of the mouth where the wisdom tooth extraction incision has to be made.
Note: In such a condition, prior notice will be given to you to keep your stomach empty for at least 12 hours before the surgery so that the anesthesia is effective throughout the tooth extraction process.
- The tissue surrounding the wisdom tooth is opened up. If the wisdom tooth is impacted within the bone, then deep incision is made to access the impacted tooth.
- Once the impacted wisdom tooth is visible to the dentist, various surgical instruments are used to gently loosen the wisdom tooth from surrounding connective tissues and bone. High-speed hand piece may be used on and off throughout the extraction procedure.
- The tooth may be sliced into small pieces and removed as this will make the extraction procedure easy.
- On removal of the tooth, the depression caused by the extraction is covered up and stitched carefully.
- A small gauzed cotton swab is placed on the operated area to stop further bleeding.
After a wisdom teeth extraction, the dentist will recommend on the day of your surgery that you:
- For 24 hours, the patient must not rinse their mouth and they should avoid spitting forcefully.
- A fluid diet should be maintained until the healing is completely over, which the doctor will attest.
- Eating quality ice cream is recommended by some doctors as the cold ice cream will numb the gums and prevent inflammation. After eating the ice cream, thoroughly wash your mouth.
- Patient should abstain from smoking as nicotine inhibits recovery.
- Painkillers, in case of intense pain, should be taken at the prescription of the doctor.
- Hard foods should be eaten after 24 hours of surgery in order to avoid hurting the operated area.
- After surgery, typically a blood clot forms in the socket from which the tooth was removed. Right after surgery, the surgeon will apply a gauze to the area and ask the patient to bite down hard. This keeps the clot in check. The gauze should be kept in place for up to 4 hours after surgery.
- The patient should lie down while keeping his/her head propped up on pillows to minimize chances of bleeding during the recovery stages.
- Rinsing with a few ounces of salt water every few hours after the surgery is advised to minimize chances of infection.
- Ice packs can be applied on either side of the mouth to reduce swelling as an after care measure.
You should be able to go back to daily life a day or two after surgery. You’ll want to be very careful not to dislodge your blood clot or stitches for a week. Like any scab, the blood over your wisdom tooth hole protects and heals the wound. If the blot clot is disrupted, you’ll be in increased pain and at an increased risk of infection.
The Five Biggest Benefits of Removing Your Wisdom Teeth are:-
1. Less crowding means fewer orthodontic problems.
2. Prevent damage to nearby teeth.
3. Decrease the risk of oral disease and inflammation.
4. Lessen orofacial pain.
5. Prevent cysts, tumours, and jaw damage.
Your dentist can detect if you have an erupted or impacted wisdom tooth. Depending on your dentist’s expertise, he or she may recommend you visit an oral surgeon who specializes in wisdom teeth care.
In some cases, patients may experience symptoms such as swelling in the back of the oral cavity; limited jaw mobility; or pain when chewing. However, the majority of people with wisdom teeth don’t feel any symptoms, which can be just as problematic.
Any pain and swelling you have should improve each day, but call your dentist if you experience any of the following:
- Swelling that gets worse instead of better.
- Excessive bleeding that won’t subside with pressure.
- Severe, throbbing pain three to four days following surgery.
- An elevated fever that persists.
Whether you have one wisdom tooth removed or all four, keep in mind that your dentist knows how to get you through this procedure without complications; you just need to use your wisdom to listen.
- The procedure can be simple, if surgery is not a part of the procedure as in the case of a less damaged tooth. However, in case of a wisdom tooth extraction, the procedure is mostly surgical while will be more painful.
- The extraction of a tooth can cause pain in the days that follow the extraction. You can take medication to keep the gums numb which will subdue the pain.
- You will have to monitor your eating habits for at least a week after the surgery. Your new diet should comprise of liquids and soft foods such as tofu, mashed potatoes, muffins, custard and yoghurt.
- Another thing to expect from this procedure is the change in your chewing style. The absence of a tooth can cause discomfort in biting or chewing. However, you will get used to it after a while.
- If opting for the procedure abroad, you might have to make two trips to the hospital in case you feel that the missing tooth is causing you considerable discomfort or a side effect appears after the surgery.
Trusted & Reviewed By Our Happy Clients
I had my dental implant surgery done at Beverly Wilshire Dental Clinic with Datin Dr Norma Abd Jalil. I am still astonished at how comfortable the whole procedure was. Not only was it totally painless (honestly!), from start to finish I was given clear information about the procedure and the pricing, all in a very relaxed environment. I cannot recommend the clinic and Datin Dr Norma Abd Jalil highly enough.
While visiting KL, I broke a veneer on my front tooth that required immediate replacement. I found Beverly Wilshire Dental online and scheduled an appointment. They were able to see me the next day and being from North America I was unsure of what to expect. I can gladly report that my experience and the work performed was excellent. My highest compliments to Dr. Tan Ying Yin for her professionalism and for the quality of her work.
I went for a routine scaling and teeth cleaning at this place. I must say, Dr. Tan Ying Yin is very professional and friendly. She explained the entire procedure and was constantly checking if everything was okay throughout the entire procedure. I would definitely recommend this clinic. Thank you Dr. for the excellent and very professional service! 5-stars for sure!
I’m from Vietnam and this is my first time getting my teeth fillings done in Malaysia. I picked Beverly Wilshire Dental and completely satisfied with the service here. Thank you.
Great skill. I had serious teeth alignment issue and my doctor managed to fix it nicely!
Amazing dental centre, amazing people, doctors, and dentists. I took appointment and started my veneer treatment and I was happy with their hygiene standards and I felt so comfortable with the great team there and of course special thanks to Dr Tan and her professional team for answering all my questions and been always present and accommodating.
My treatment was very smooth and I didn’t feel any pain even when they injected me with the needle. it was definitely a great experience and would definitely keep treating my teeth there.
Appointment was right on time, service from the attendants was friendly in total job well done, my teeth shines brighter and I feel better in my mouth.
Very comfortable and friendly. no pain at all for my root canal.
Our 1st visit to the dental centre for my daughter having gum bleeding issue. The appointment arrangement was effortless. I just dropped them a message via Google and they responded quickly in the morning. On the day, the service is cordial. My daughter loves it.
I had a perfect uncomplicated treatment. After another dentist told me that I have to get 6 holes fixed and at least one root treatment done I was looking for another opinion and it was the best decision I've ever made! Had my holes fixed in a short time and happy with the result.
I'm extremely happy with my teeth after having braces done here. Smiling away with confidence. Thanks Beverly Wilshire Dental. Will recommend surely to any searching for dental services. Kudos!!
Easy, considerate staff and doctors. We are international patients and came for a cleaning and 2nd opinion. Our dentist in Hong Kong recommended 2 more crowns, but this dentist saw no issues and only recommended a couple cosmetic options, but did not press for us to get them. Our visit was efficient.
Great team and excellent customer service, I did my teeth whitening using Zoom technology. Very happy with the results and the price was surprisingly very affordable. Keep up the good work guys.
Brought both my kids 2.5year and 7 year for their first appointment. The staff are very nice. Dr was very gentle and understanding. It was a pleasant first experience for them.