What To Expect During A Dental Implant Surgery
Dental implants serve as a replacement of missing teeth, just like how dentures and bridges do. Our patients usually seek dental implants if they want a permanent, more comfortable and more convenient fixture than dentures. The implant replaces the entire natural tooth, down to its roots. The implant is surgically implanted into the jawbone, which holds and integrates seamlessly and sturdily with the titanium in the implants so that they won’t slip, produce noise or cause potential bone damage like bridges or dentures. Because titanium is such a hardy material, implants also do not deteriorate over time.
During consultation, our dentists will evaluate your suitability for a dental implant. The dentist will determine if you have enough bone to hold the implants in place or a bone transplant may be required. Strong oral tissues are also a must, and you should also not have any health issues that could affect the bone healing. Teenagers are not generally not suitable to receive a dental implant, as the jawbone must have grown to its full potential for a dental implant to be successful.
Do expect to make several visits to the dentist as getting a dental implant usually involves 5 steps over several months.
- Removal of a damaged tooth
- Jawbone preparation, if necessary
- Bone grafting is required if your jawbone isn’t thick enough or is too soft to support the pressure of chewing and biting. A bone graft will strengthen the implant’s foundation. A variety of bone transplant materials can be used for this process, such as a natural bone transplant from another part of your body, or a synthetic bone graft such as a bone-substitute material that can offer support structures for new bone growth.
- Placement of dental implants
- The dentist will create an incision in your gum to insert the dental implant metal post bored into the bone. This metal post will serve as the tooth root. There will still be a gap where your tooth is missing. The dentist may install a partial or temporary denture might be used to improve look.
- Bone development and repair
- The jawbone integrates with the surface of the dental implant and grows into it. This process, which can take several months, provides a strong foundation for your new artificial tooth.
- Placement of the abutment
- The abutment holds the tooth to the metal post in your gums. A minor surgery may be required depending on the degree of protrusion of the post above your gum line.
- Placement of a dental implant
- This is the final and best part – the installation of your new artificial tooth. An impression of your teeth would have been done prior to this step to create the most natural-looking tooth to be made. You can opt for a permanent or temporarily attached tooth to be mounted onto the abutment each time.
There may be several processes before you finally have a dental implant, but the end result is definitely rewarding. Drop by for a consultation today to explore your options on replacing a missing tooth.
Recognition & Qualification
Reviewed By Over 3000+ Customers
Very peaceful place. Good service and their staffs very friendly
Good location. Flexible appointments. Service with a smile!
One of the best dental experience I had compared to San Francisco and Los Angeles. My dentist Dr Yoganjali was very friendly, professional and gentle with her work. Helped me relax. Thank you team!
As someone very scared of dentists, I initially went here for my children but also ended up coming here myself as they are very calming, patient and have even managed to fit me in when I didn’t have an appointment.
Great team and excellent customer service, I did my teeth whitening using Zoom technology. Very happy with the results and the price was surprisingly very affordable. Keep up the good work guys.
The best dentist in KL! I have a lot of anxiety going to the dentist....but coming here is easy. The staff is so friendly and the dentist is so wonderful!
I had a perfect uncomplicated treatment. After another dentist told me that I have to get 6 holes fixed and at least one root treatment done I was looking for another opinion and it was the best decision I've ever made!
Great skill. I had serious teeth alignment issue and my doctor managed to fix it nicely!
Thankyou so much to the team at Beverly Wilshire for getting my smile back, great service and I'm happy I came to Malaysia ?
Good dentist. Super friendly and well trained doctors. Not overly pricey also. Will definitely recommend to anyone
Easy, considerate staff and doctors. We are international patients and came for a cleaning and 2nd opinion.